Once again, war drums are sounding in the Middle East.
Iran has ramped up its aggressiveness across the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea. It is using its proxy army in Yemen, the Houthis, to turn up the pressure on Saudi Arabia. Iran has recently been responsible for the drone attacks on oil tanker ships and oil terminal platforms.
The Saudis are on a war footing and the United States has moved another U.S. Navy carrier group into the region.
Even anti-war protests are starting to spring up here in America.
Israel and Hamas are in an uneasy ceasefire, but the recent conflict between the two was most probably a result of prodding by Iran.
In view of these developments, for this week’s program I have chosen an Encore Presentation of the show I produced on August 28, 2015. In that program, I explain some of the dangers created by Iran, which is Shi’ite, courting the Palestinian Authority and other Muslim entities in the region who are Sunni. This is significant because the Shias and the Sunnis have been essentially mortal enemies since 632 AD.
A joining of the two factions (Shi’ites comprise about 15% of the world’s Muslims while Sunnis make up the other 85%) may be necessary for the fulfillment of many of the Bible prophecies concerning the last days of this Age of Grace. We may be seeing this beginning to take place.
Here is how I described that program to you in my Friday e-blast on August 28, 2015:
An important, but almost completely ignored, development took place recently in the Middle East. I believe it comes as a direct result of the agreement between the West and Iran regarding its nuclear program.
It has powerful prophetic implications.
To date, Iran’s dominating influence has been exerted mainly among Shi’ite Muslims. The fact that Shi’ites comprise just 15% of the world’s Muslims – the other 85% are Sunni – has helped to restrain Iran’s global influence. It has effectively kept Iran fenced in. You see, the Shi’ites and Sunnis, though both Islamic, have been locked in a blood feud since 632 AD.
That fence may be breaking down.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas recently announced that he will travel to Tehran in the near future. He hopes to strengthen ties between Iran and the Palestinians.
That may not seem like a big deal until we consider the fact that Abbas is Sunni. His dominant political party, Fatah, is Sunni. His main ally (and sometime enemy), Hamas, is Sunni. Most, if not all, Palestinians are Sunni.
And it is worrying that not only are the Palestinians hoping to “strengthen ties” with Iran, but they are sending signals that they might be willing to subjugate themselves to Iran’s authority.
Recently, Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei released his new book: Palestine. In it, he totally rejects the two-state solution between Israel and the Palestinians. He writes, “The solution is a one-state formula… Palestine.”
He also postulates that the new state of Palestine would be under “the hegemony of Iran.” In other words, he’s calling for a Shi’ite nation to be in control of a Sunni people. This is something that once would have been complete anathema for any self-respecting Sunni.
But those times are past!
Not to pile on, but also consider the fact that Mahmoud Abbas is beginning to publicly show support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Assad is an Alawite, a branch of Shia Islam. Further, Assad is primarily supported — read that “propped up” — by two nations, Iran and Russia.
Folks, this is right out of Ezekiel 38!
Now we all know that Hamas and the PA have been receiving backdoor financial and technical assistance from Iran for years. But it was never out in the open. There was never a Palestinian commitment to Iran. But that now appears to be a distinct possibility.
Why now? Well, let’s consider the fact that because of the efforts of Mssrs. Obama and Kerry (and certainly other culprits, too), Iran is about to be flush with cash. Lots of cash. And two lines are forming to petition for their fair share: European bankers and the world’s terrorists.
I wonder why they need two lines?
But, wait, it gets even more interesting.
We all know that Abbas and the PA is essentially a money-making enterprise. That’s why it has been in control of the Palestinians for so many years and their lot is still so pitiful — even though billions and billions of dollars have been poured into the PA’s coffers by the dunderheads in the West. The Swiss banks love the PA and its leadership class.
So why would Abbas risk alienating some Western nations by making a public show of his willingness to cast his lot with the Iranians? I believe it is because they both share a hatred for Israel and the Jews. In fact, that may be the reason other Sunni nations decide to submit themselves to Shi’ite Iran.
By facing down the West’s modern day Chamberlains — gaining everything and ceding nothing — Iran has not only hit the cash bonanza, it has elevated its mystique to almost mythic proportions. And the rule of thumb in Islam is to go with the stronger horse.
Today, to the world’s Muslims who hate Israel and the Jews, Iran is definitely the stronger horse.
It’s getting harder to differentiate between Bible prophecy and the morning’s headlines, isn’t it?
But, unbelievably, there is another plot twist.
Not only has the West unleashed upon the world a more powerful, influential, and cash-rich Iran (the world’s greatest exporter of terrorism), but its Supreme Leader has made certain that no one can doubt where all of this is headed.
In his new book, Palestine, the Ayatollah proclaims himself as “the flagbearer of Jihad to liberate Jerusalem.” Say what? Did Obama and Kerry and company know this when they were prostrating themselves and kissing his ring?
They had obviously overlooked his descriptions of Israel as a “cancerous tumor” and “ally of the American Great Satan.” They apparently paid no mind to Khamenei’s encouragement of chants of “Death to Israel” and “Death to America” at his rallies.
They seemed to be in a mindless mad dash to reach a “deal” no matter the implications of the deal. And now, we’re beginning to realize those implications.
Did I mention that this is right out of Ezekiel 38?
The Bible prophets predicted that in the last days Russia would lead a confederacy of nations against Israel that included a host of Muslim nations led by Iran. Some critics have raised an eyebrow and noted that Sunni nations — which describes most Muslim nations — would never be led by a Shi’ite nation.
I suppose they can lower that eyebrow now.